What Is An OMRI Certification?
What Is OMRI?
After the US Organic Foods Production Act was passed in 1990, many different organizations began to form in support of the growing organic market. These organizations recognized the need for a unified source that could independently evaluate products and their ingredients. A uniform standard of quality would help consumers trust the products they were buying.
In 1997, many of these organizations joined together to support the formation of the Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI). Since that day, OMRI’s board of experts has operated as a “nonprofit organization providing organic certifiers, growers, manufacturers, and suppliers an independent review of products intended for use in certified organic production, handling, and processing.”
They determine whether or not products meet USDA national organic standards for US products, and the respective government agency standards for Canada and Mexico as well.
OMRI’s mission is to “support the growth and trust of the global organic community through expert, independent, and transparent verification of input materials, and through education and technical assistance.”
What Does OMRI Look For?
OMRI not only reviews food products, they review a wide range of products used throughout the entire organic food production process including:
- Pest control for crop production
- Livestock feed ingredients
- Healthcare products
- Processing aids
- Any materials used for organic production
The Review Process
When a product is submitted to OMRI, there are many elements to their review process. With each product, OMRI looks at:
- The possibility of environmental contamination
- The risk of negative ecological impact
- Product formulas (every ingredient in a product and how they interact as a whole)
- Ingredient purchase history (where ingredients were purchased, how they were produced and processed)
- Safety Data Sheets (SDS) and Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for all components
- Declarations of any genetic modifications, ionizing radiation, or nanotechnology used
- All versions of the product labels
- Any necessary lab analyses of the final product
OMRI’s certification process includes multiple stages to ensure the review panel’s final decision is transparent and accurate.
Ice Slicer : OMRI Certified Organic
Ice Slicer is honored to be a certified organic, OMRI listed product. Our ice melt is pure, unprocessed, ancient mineral sea salt...nothing added, nothing removed. It is harvested with utmost care, contains no additives, and is packaged exactly as mother nature created it. In fact, our products are mined from the exact same Jurassic Era mineral salt deposit as our delicious food grade mineral salt used to nourish livestock, enrich soil, and flavor our meals. Our mineral salt is only sifted to separate fine and coarse granules, so your pavement can benefit from long lasting, coarse grains that reduce slips and falls.
• Click here to see Ice Slicer’s OMRI certificate.
Here at Ice Slicer, we are proud of our organic credentials and are grateful the Earth has provided natural ice melt solutions to keep us safe all winter long. Click here to learn more about Ice Slicer’s natural high performance benefits.
© 2021 Redmond Minerals Inc.